A big portion of healthy oats gives this bread a beautiful mild flavor and a lot of healthy fiber; one slice will keep you full for a while. Enjoy it with butter, salami, or camembert.
Wheat and Oats LoafCourse: Breakfast, BrunchCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Medium
370 g / 13.1 oz all-purpose flour
425 g / 15 oz cold water
12 g or 1 tablespoon salt
a hazelnut-sized chunk of fresh baker’s yeast
200 g / 7.1 oz quick oats, plus extra for sprinkling on top
large, cast iron or terracotta pot with a lid
- Prepare the dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, and salt. From the measured-out water, set aside about 4 tablespoons and dissolve the yeast in it. Add the yeast mixture, as well as the remaining water to the flour and oats mix. Knead by hand until all ingredients come together and the dough is smooth and slightly sticky. If necessary add a little bit more flour. Cover the dough airtight with a lid or aluminum foil. Set aside to rest and mature at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Stretch and fold the dough: During those 24 hours stretch and fold the dough every 8 hours, the first time after 8 hours of resting and again after 16 hours of resting. To stretch and fold the dough first dip your hand in water; it will prevent the dough from sticking to your hand. Then push your hand deep under the dough, pull the dough to you, and fold it over the rest of the dough. Repeat the process from all sides until the whole dough is folded and lies round and tight in the bowl.
- Form a loaf: Depending on what kind of pot you are using, form a round or oblong loaf. Place it, seam-side down, in a proofing basket or any basket lined with a kitchen towel and sprinkled with flour and quick oats. Covert the basket with a clean cloth and set it aside to proof for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven, with the pot in it, to 485F / 250C.
- Bake: Take the pot out of the oven and let the dough fall out of the basket directly into the pot. You don’t need to line the pot with parchment paper. Cover the pot with the lid and put it back in the oven. Reduce the heat to 465F / 240C and bake for 45 minutes. If you prefer a darker+ crust, take the lid off for the last 10 – 15 minutes of baking time. Allow to cool down on a wire rack before slicing.