Tastes best fresh out of the oven with a salad or a variety of dips, like my Authentic Baba Ghanoush (Eastern Mediterranean Aubergine Dip) or Smoky Eggplant Dip.
Turkish FlatbreadCuisine: TurkishDifficulty: Simple
Serve it with a salad or a dip.
20 g / 0.7 oz fresh baker’s yeast
300 ml / 10 1/4 fl oz water, lukewarm
450 g / 15.9 oz all-purpose flour
1 heaped teaspoon salt
- Egg wash
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
sesame seeds and/or black cumin seeds to sprinkle
- Crumble the yeast and stir it into lukewarm water, until dissolved. Set aside for 10 minutes, until frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Add yeast mixture and using an electric mixer, fitted with hooks, knead to a soft, elastic dough that clears the sides of the bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and leave it to rise at room temperature for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C / 430 F. Transfer the dough onto a flour-dusted workspace and knead it briefly.
- Gently stretch the dough and form it into an oval. Transfer it onto a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Using a sharp knife score the surface of the bread to create the typical diamond pattern. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together egg, olive oil, and honey. Brush the bread with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in the middle of the oven for 12 – 15 minutes. Serve with a variety of dips.