An outstanding recipe for an amazing and delicious dessert. The acidity of the strawberries is complimented with the gentle sweetness of the wine caramel. The frangipane adds mild sweetness, flaky texture and a rich flavor.
Frangipane is a sweet, almond-flavored custard, with a hint of vanilla. It is typically used as a creamy filling in tarts, cakes and pastries. Frangipane is best when served while it is still slightly warm.
Keep in mind:
- to make the pastry crust and almond cream filling use only very good quality butter. I use Kerrygold, Finlandia or Plugra.
If you like the strawberry and almond pairing you might also like my Strawberry Cake with Almonds.
Strawberry Tart with Red Wine CaramelCourse: DessertCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
An outstanding recipe for an amazing and delicious dessert.
1 Shortcrust Pastry (alternatively a store bought pastry crust)
400 g / 14.1 oz strawberries
1 tablespoon pistachios, crushed
- Frangipane (Almond Cream Filling)
100 g / 3.5 oz very good quality butter, softened
100 g / 3.5 oz almond meal
100 g / 3.5 oz confectioners’ sugar
1 pod vanilla
- Red Wine Caramel
100 g / 3.5 oz caster sugar
2 tablespoons water
20 cl / 1 1/2 tablespoons Châteauneuf-du-Pape
- Spread the pastry crust out in a pie pan and pierce the dough with a fork. Place the pan in the refrigerator.
- Make the almond cream filling: Scrape out the vanilla pod. Using a kitchen mixer, fitted with beaters, blend the softened butter with the sugar, then add the almond meal and vanilla seeds. Mix again. Add the eggs one by one, and continue to mix until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 175C. Pour the cream into the pie crust and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the tart is golden brown. Take out of the oven and let cool down.
- Make the wine caramel: Pour the sugar into the pot, then add water. Mix thoroughly, then bring to a boil. The caramel will start to develop. Remove the pot from the burner and add the red wine. Put the pot on medium heat and reduce the red wine until it can completely coat a spoon. Let cool down.
- Rinse and hull the strawberries. Cut them in half lengthwise and arrange over the top of the tart.
- Spoon the wine caramel over the strawberries and sprinkle the crushed pistachios on top. Use a serrated knife to slice it. Serve with Chateauneuf-du-Pape or coffee.