The intense flavor of almonds and the light sweetness of fresh strawberries combined in a simple sponge cake. The batter is very easy to prepare, however, to achieve the perfect sponge cake, there are 2 important rules to follow:
- all ingredients for a sponge cake need to be at room temperature. Take butter and eggs out of the refrigerator, about 1 hour before you begin and let them warm up.
- a sponge cake requires a thorough and meticulous whipping. Add ingredients one by one, beating well between each addition. The batter should be smooth and fluffy.
This cake is mildly sweet, with an intense almond flavor and a beautiful, fresh-tasting strawberry sweetness. A perfect addition to your afternoon coffee or tea.
Strawberry and Almond CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: PolishDifficulty: Simple
Simple and delicious cake with strawberries and almonds.
200 g / 7.1 oz butter, at room temperature
250 g / 8.8 oz all-purpose wheat flour
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon baking powder
200 g / 7.1 oz confectioners’ sugar
a few drops of concentrated almond flavoring essence or 1 teaspoon of almond extract
350 g / 12 oz fresh strawberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 – 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, blanched or natural
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 355F. Butter and line with parchment paper a 9-inch spring form.
- Combine butter and confectioner’s sugar in a mixing bowl and, using a stand or hand mixer fitted with beaters, whip until the mixture is light in color and creamy and fluffy in texture, about 6 minutes. One by one, add the eggs, mixing thoroughly for about 2 minutes, between each addition. Add almond extract and blend in.
- Combine flour with baking powder and add in small portions to the butter-egg mixture, mixing on medium speed, until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Rinse, hull and cut in half the strawberries.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared spring form and smoothen the surface. Arrange the strawberries in a circular pattern and sprinkle the surface with sliced almonds and sugar.
- Bake on the middle rack for 45 – 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool down for 5 – 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.