This velvety – smooth and creamy pumpkin soup will impress you with its bright golden color and fresh pumpkin flavor, infused with fresh orange juice and thyme.
Orange, Thyme, and Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 middle-sized onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 kg / 2.2 lbs of Hokkaido pumpkin (alternatively pie pumpkin), not peeled, roughly diced
- 1 l of vegetable or chicken broth, heated
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons of freshly plucked thyme leaves
- salt & pepper
- 150 ml of milk
- Heat up olive oil in a middle-sized soup pot and sauté the onions for 3 – 4 minutes. Add garlic and pumpkin. Cook for another 2 minutes while stirring.
- Pour in hot broth, orange juice and zest along with 2 tablespoons of thyme. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Purée the soup with a stick blender and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in milk and let simmer (don’t boil!) for another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining thyme. Ladle into preheated soup bowls and serve with crispy white bread.