The Polish potato salad is more than just an ordinary potato salad; it is a perfectly balanced blend of vegetables, hard-boiled eggs, tart and crunchy pickles, and an apple for sweetness. I also like adding some capers to boost the flavor and add an extra salty zing. The salad is best prepared a day in advance and refrigerated overnight allowing the flavors to mingle. Serve it as a side dish with grilled or barbecued meats.
Polish Potato SaladCourse: Picnic/Garden Party/BBQCuisine: PolishDifficulty: Simple
More than just a potato salad. Perfect for a picnic, BBQ or any other occasion.
3 large potatoes
4 hard-boiled eggs
2 vinegar-brined pickles
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 can sweet peas
1 tablespoon mustard
3 – 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
salt & freshly ground pepper
2 – 3 tablespoons capers (optional)
fresh chives cut into small rolls
- Boil the unpeeled potatoes in salted water, until tender. Drain and peel while still hot then let cool down completely.
- Peel carrots and parsnips and boil together until cooked. Drain and allow to cool down completely.
- Using a colander, drain and rinse the sweet peas.
- Finely dice boiled potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onion, apple, pickles and eggs.
- In a small bowl blend together mustard and mayonnaise.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and stir well. Garnish with fresh chives, cut into small rolls.