Plain yet delicious. Prepare the dough the night before and place it in the refrigerator. All you have to do in the morning is shape, bake and enjoy your perfect breakfast rolls.
Perfect German Breakfast RollsCourse: BreakfastCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Simple
Plain yet delicious. Prepare the dough the night before and place it in the refrigerator. All you have to do in the morning is to shape, bake and enjoy your perfect breakfast rolls.
25 g /0.9 oz rye flour
100 g / 3.5 oz plain, all-purpose flour
125 g / 4.4 oz cold water
a pea-sized ball of fresh baker’s yeast
all of the starter
375 g / 13.2 oz plain, all-purpose flour
185 g / 6.5 oz whole milk, cold
a hazelnut-sized ball of fresh baker’s yeast
10 g / 0.4 oz butter, at room temperature
10 g / 0.4 oz salt
- Prepare the starter: In a bowl, combine all ingredients into a sticky, pasty dough. Cover the bowl with plastic food wrap and set it aside to mature at room temperature for 12 – 16 hours. The dough will expand and become bubbly.
- Prepare the dough: Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead with an electric mixer, fitted with kneading hooks, at medium speed until you have a smooth, soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic food wrap and place it in the refrigerator to rest and mature for 8 – 12 hours.
- Shape and bake: Preheat the oven to 230C / 445F. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and transfer it onto a lightly floured workspace. Gently shape the dough into a log (don’t knead!), then slightly flatten it with the palms of your hands. Using a knife or a bench scraper, cut out 8 triangles or square-shaped rolls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Score the surface of each roll with a bread lame or a sharp knife.
- Just before loading the rolls into the hot oven throw two handfuls of ice cubes on the bottom of the oven and reduce the heat to 220C / 430F. Bake the rolls for 18 – 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool down slightly before serving.