I love this vegetarian variation of the Stroganoff ragout. Sour cream and mustard give the sauce its characteristic, rich and creamy consistency, and a slightly tart flavor. Mushrooms – with their wonderful earthy flavors – fresh spinach, scallions, and chives replace the classic beef tips and make this dish a perfect comfort food. Serve it with a variety blend of nutty black rice, sweetish red rice, bready brown rice, starchy wild rice, and mild-tasting white rice.
Mushroom Stroganoff with Wild Rice BlendCourse: main course
Perfect vegetarian comfort food.
125 g / 4.4 oz wild rice blend
1 bunch of scallions
1 garlic clove
400 g / 14.1 oz champignons or other mixed mushrooms
1 tablespoon butter + some extra
a splash of white wine
200 g / 7.1 oz sour cream
Dijon mustard and coarse mustard, 1 teaspoon of each
100 g / 3.5 oz baby spinach
1 bunch of chives
salt and pepper
- Place the rice in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water, then boil in three times the amount of water until cooked. Depending on the instructions on the packaging, this should take about 20 – 25 minutes. Afterward, drain any excess water.
- While the rice is cooking, rinse and pat dry the scallions and chop them into fine rolls. Set a handful aside for garnish. In a small skillet heat up a little bit of butter (about a teaspoon or so) and briefly saute the remaining scallions over medium-high heat.
- Rinse and spin dry the baby spinach. Rinse and pat dry the chives, then chop into very fine rolls.
- Gently clean the mushrooms with a paper towel or a brush and cut into thin slices. Peel and thinly slice the garlic clove.
- In a large pan, heat up 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the mushrooms and sear over high heat for 2 – 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the garlic. Keep frying for another 1 -2 minutes, then deglaze with a splash of white wine.
- Stir in sour cream, Dijon and coarse mustard and let it simmer over medium heat for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add spinach to the mushrooms and briefly fold in.
- Add rice, chives, and the sautéed scallions to the mushrooms and season generously with salt and pepper. Give your Stroganoff a good stir and serve immediately, garnished with fresh scallions.