Marzipan gives this sweet and simple cake a special almond note. It is the perfect recipe, especially for marzipan lovers.
Marzipan Loaf CakeCourse: DessertsCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Simple
This delicious marzipan loaf cake is a perfect recipe, especially for all marzipan lovers.
250 g / 8.8 oz marzipan or almond paste, at room temperature, torn into small lumps
250 g / 8.8 oz soft butter
100 g / 3.5 oz sugar
1 heaped tablespoon vanilla sugar
4 drops pure almond essence (not to be mistaken with almond extract)*
200 g / 7.1 oz all-purpose flour
100 g / 3.5 oz corn or potato starch
1 level teaspoon baking powder
100 g /3.5 oz dark chocolate of good quality
slivered almonds for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 355F / 180C. Adjust the oven rack to a middle position. Butter a 9-inch (25cm) loaf pan and dust it with flour.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk together marzipan or almond paste with 2 eggs, until no lumps of marzipan are visible. In a second mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, and almond essence until creamy and fluffy. Beat the remaining 2 eggs into the butter mixture, one at a time. Stir flour, corn starch, and baking powder together and sieve it into the butter mixture. Add the marzipan – egg mixture and carry on beating to make sure you have a coherent, smooth batter. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smoothen the surface.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool down in the baking pan for 20 minutes, then remove from the baking pan and let cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a warm water bath and spread it over the cake. Garnish with slivered almonds and let set.
- Slice, and enjoy with a cup of tea.
- *If you don’t have pure almond essence, substitute it with a1/4 teaspoon of almond extract.