It always makes me happy when I go shopping and surprisingly find something special. The other day I discovered in my supermarket around the corner smoked whiting. Smoked fish seems to be a rarity in American supermarkets. My joy was all the greater. I immediately thought of this delicious spread, which I haven’t done and eaten for so long. Usually it is made with smoked mackerel, but the smoked whiting tasted just as delicious.
- 400 g smoked fish. Preferably smoked mackerel.
- 4 spring onions
- 1 large organic lemon
- 200 g fresh cheese (for example Philadelphia)
- 2 tbsp horseradish (cream style)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large ciabatta or other crispy bread
- 1 box of cress or sprouts
- Remove the skin and bones from the fish. Crumble the fish into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Clean the spring onions, cut them into fine slices and add to the fish.
- Peel the lemon zest of the entire lemon finely over the fish, halve the lemon, squeeze the juice of the two lemon halves and pour over the fish pieces.
- Put the cream cheese and horseradish in the bowl and thoroughly mix all the ingredients. Make sure to mash the fish pieces.
- At last season with salt and pepper.
How to serve
Cut the bread into slices and either roast in a grill pan or toast in a toaster. Place the spread on the hot slices and sprinkle with some cress or sprouts.
See you next time! Your Anna.