Soft, fluffy, and impossible to resist; I just had one for breakfast.
Kefir RollsCourse: BreakfastCuisine: PolishDifficulty: Simple
Soft, fluffy, and impossible to resist.
460 g / 16.2 oz all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
300 ml / 10.1 fl oz plain kefir
2 tablespoons sunflower, canola, or olive oil
1 teaspoon honey (alternatively 1 teaspoon sugar)
14 g / 0.5 oz fresh baker’s yeast or 7 g / 0.2 oz active dry yeast
- Crumble the yeast into the kefir, add honey, and stir until the yeast is dissolved. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, egg, and oil. Pour in the kefir mixture and knead the dough with an electric mixer, fitted with hooks, for 4 – 5 minutes at medium speed. The dough should be slightly sticky. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and set it aside to rise for 1 hour, at room temperature.
- Transfer the dough onto a flour-dusted workspace, form a long log, flatten it slightly, and cut it into 12 small or 8 large pieces. Place the rolls onto a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, cover them with a kitchen towel and set aside to rest for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Bake the rolls for 15 – 20 minutes until golden.
- Transfer the rolls together with the parchment paper onto a wire rack and allow to cool down before serving.
- Stored in a plastic bag, the rolls stay fresh for up to 4 days.