This Italian cherry liqueur is a delicious fruit-based alcoholic cordial, particularly delicate and fragrant. The addition of cherry pits gives this liqueur a delicate almond note.
Be sure to choose mature, juicy cherries so that the alcohol infusion is more intensely flavored. And don’t forget: be patient! Give the liqueur the time it needs to age and unfold its full flavor.
Perfect after-dinner cordial, to be enjoyed with friends, or to be given as a gift.
Italian Cherry Liqueur (Liquore di Ciliegie)Course: Homemade liqueursCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Simple
This Italian cherry liqueur is a delicious fruit-based alcoholic cordial, particularly delicate and fragrant
500 g cherries
500 ml 95% proof alcohol (Everclear or Golden Grain)
400 ml water
500 g sugar
- In a medium-size pot, slowly bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat, while stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool down completely.
- Wash and pit the cherries. Don’t discard the pits!
- Place pits and cherries in a large glass jar with a lid.
- Combine alcohol with the sugar syrup and pour it over the cherries and pits. Seal with a lid and set aside in a cool, dark place to macerate for 2 months. Shake the jar once daily.
- Open the jar and filter the liquid through a clean, dry cloth or wire mesh strainer. Pour the filtered liqueur into a bottle to age for at least 3 months in a cool, dark place.