This hearty, earthy- tasting soup combines nutritious Swiss chard with other fresh garden vegetables. It’s a very light, vegetarian dish, yet incredibly rich in flavor. Topped with roasted pine nuts and shredded Parmesan; it’s clearly Italian 🙂 One of my favorite soups.
Italian Chard SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Simple
This hearty, earthy- tasting soup combines nutritious Swiss chard with other fresh garden vegetables. It’s a very light, vegetarian dish, yet incredibly rich in flavor.
600 g / about 6 medium-sized potatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 bunch of Swiss / rainbow chard
1 tablespoon olive oil
freshly ground pepper
1 l / 33.8 fl oz vegetable broth
3 middle-sized tomatoes
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 – 2 tablespoons crème légère or sour cream
- Peel an rinse the potatoes. Cut them into small cubes and boil in salted water for about 15 – 20 minutes, until done.
- In the meantime, peel and finely dice onion and garlic. Thoroughly rinse the chard. Chop leaves and stems separately into stripes.
- In a medium size soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over high heat, until fragrant. Stir in the chard stems and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the broth and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot with a lid, and let the soup gently simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes into cubes and add to the soup. Stir in the chopped chard leaves and let it all simmer for another 5 – 7 minutes.
- In a non-stick pan, roast the pine nuts, until golden brown and fragrant.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the soup. Stir in crème légère or sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warm soup bowls and serve sprinkled with roasted pine nuts and shredded Parmesan.