These delicate, chewy coconut macaroons are a Christmas classic – easy to prepare, with only a handful of ingredients.
Classic Coconut MacaroonsCourse: DessertCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Simple
How to make classic German coconut macaroons.
200 g / 7.1 oz coconut flakes, finely shredded and unsweetened
260 g / 9.2 oz sugar
5 egg whites
150 g / 5.3 oz dark couverture chocolate (60% cocoa), e.g. Ghirardelli 60% Cocoa Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 160C / 320F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put coconut flakes, sugar, and egg whites in a small saucepan and roast over a medium flame, stirring constantly, until a sticky, viscous mass is formed.
- Allow the mixture to cool down a bit. Then, use a piping bag with a large star icing tip or two teaspoons to place individual macaroons on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool completely on the baking sheet, then carefully remove from the paper.
- Melt the couverture over a water bath or in the microwave. Allow to cool down slightly.
- To decorate, either dip the base of the coconut macaroons in the couverture and leave to dry on parchment paper or drizzle the tops of the macaroons with the melted chocolate, making a zig-zag motion.