A wonderful, marzipan-flavored, cake to sweeten the festive Advent season.
Christmas Marzipan CakeCourse: DessertsCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Simple
A wonderful, marzipan-flavored, cake to sweeten the Advent season.
250 g / 8.8 oz marzipan (almond paste)
250 g / 8.8 oz soft butter
100 g / 3.5 oz sugar
1 heaped tablespoon vanilla sugar
4 drops pure almond extract
200 g / 7.1 oz all-purpose flour
100 g / 3.5 oz corn starch, alternatively potato starch
1 level teaspoon baking powder
butter and flour for greasing and dusting
100 g /3.5 oz dark baking chocolate of good quality
a handful of whole, peeled almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 175C. Adjust the oven rack to a middle position. Butter a 9-inch (25 cm) loaf pan and dust it with flour.
- Shred the marzipan like you would a block of cheese then, using a mixer, whisk it together with 2 eggs to a smooth mixture. In a second mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, and almond extract to a fluffy mixture. Add the remaining 2 eggs and keep whisking until well combined and fluffy. Stir flour, corn starch, and baking powder together and sieve it into the butter mixture. Add the marzipan – egg mixture and whisk everything into a smooth batter. Transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smoothen the surface.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool down in the baking pan for 20 minutes, then remove from the baking pan and let cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a warm water bath and coat the cake with it. Garnish with almonds if you like.
- Almonds can be easily peeled if you briefly blanch them in boiling hot water and let them steep for a few minutes. Then, transfer onto a kitchen towel and rub between your hands to remove the peel.