My favorite recipe for a chocolate cake. Its taste and flavor remind me of the original Austrian Sachertorte; mildly sweet, dense and with a very rich chocolate flavor. The addition of ground almonds and grated chocolate make the texture of this delicious cake extra fine.
The cake is very easy to make; simply gradually combine all ingredients into one creamy batter. Once the cake is in the oven keep an eye on the clock. Depending on the oven, the cake needs between 50 and 60 minutes to bake and ideally should be still moist inside. Just keep that in mind to avoid over – baking. It will make the cake dry.
Chocolate CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Simple
An easy to make chocolate cake, with a delicate texture and a rich chocolate flavor. A must-try for every chocolate connoisseur.
300 g / 10.6 oz butter, soft
180 g / 6.3 oz sugar
5 middle-sized eggs, best if organic
150 g / 5.3 oz all-purpose flour
150 g / 5.3 oz almond or hazelnut flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch of salt
50 g / 1.8 oz dark baking cocoa
80 g / 2.8 oz chocolate, grated
250 g / 8.8 oz chocolate icing of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 355F. Grease a 11-inch loaf pan and dust it with flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.
- In a second mixing bowl beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, mixing well between each addition. Slowly add the flour mixture and keep mixing at a medium speed until all ingredients are well combined. Lastly, gently fold in the grated chocolate.
- Fill the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth out the surface with a spatula. Bake between 50 – 60 minutes. Do the toothpick test. The inside of the cake may (and should) be still moist.
- Let the cake cool down in the baking pan, then remove and cover with a chocolate icing of your choice.
- Use your favorite sprinkles to decorate the cake and add a pop of color.