A minimum of ingredients and effort for a maximum of tasty bread experience. The dough doesn’t require kneading or stretching, just give it plenty of time to rest and mature. Bake the bread in a cast-iron pot or a heat-resistant pottery dish with a lid.
Baking bread in a pot covered with a lid re-creates the conditions of an original brick oven. It gives the bread a crispy crust and a soft, fluffy crumb with beautiful, big holes.
Bread From The PotCourse: Breakfast-BrunchDifficulty: Simple
400 g / 14.1 oz all-purpose flour
300ml / 10.1 fl oz water, lukewarm
1 packet active dry yeast (= 1 tablespoon active dry yeast)
1 teaspoon salt
cast-iron pot or a heat-resistant ceramic dish with a lid
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients, add water and stir with a fork or with a Danish dough whisk until a shaggy dough is formed.
- Cover the dough with a clean dish towel or plastic food wrap and set the dough aside to rest and mature at room temperature (72-74 F / 22-24 C) for at least 12 hours or up to 15 hours.
- Transfer the dough onto a flour-dusted workspace. Pat the dough flat, then gently pull and stretch it into a square shape. Fold the dough like an envelope; fold the top right corner to meet at the center, repeat with top left corner. Fold the bottom right corner, repeat with the bottom left corner. Fold the envelope in half. Flip the dough around and repeat the stretching and folding. Flip the dough again and repeat the stretching and folding for a third time.
- Form a round or oblong loaf and place it, seam side down, in a flour-dusted proofing basket. Alternatively, any basket or bowl lined with a clean dish towel and generously dusted with flour will do. Sprinkle the surface of the dough with flour and rub it gently with your hand. Cover the basket with a clean dish towel and set aside to proof for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 465F / 240C with the pot in it.
- Take the hot pot out of the oven and let the dough fall out of the basket directly into the pot (the seam side will be up). Cover the pot with the lid and put it back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, then take the lid off and continue baking for another 15 minutes. Take the bread out of the pot and let it cool on a cooling rack before slicing.