- 125g / 4.4oz of prunes (pitted)
- 125g / 4.4oz of dried dates (pitted)
- 125g / 4.4oz of dried figs
- 50g / 1.8oz of soft dried apricots
- 50g / 1.8oz of dried pears
- 50g / 1.8oz of dried apple rings
- 125g / 4.4oz of raisins
- 125g / 4.4oz of candied lemon peel
- 125g / 4.4oz of candied orange peel
- 50ml / 1.7us fl oz of rum
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 eggs
- 125g / 4.4oz of sugar
- 150g / 5.3oz of plain wheat flour
- 4 tsps of baking powder
- 125g / 4.4oz of whole hazelnuts
- 125g /4.4oz of whole almonds
Cut the dried fruits (except for the raisins) into large pieces and place in a large bowl. Add raisins, lemon and orange peel, combine with the rum and leave overnight.
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°. F Halve the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds (pulp). Beat the eggs with sugar and the scraped vanilla seeds until you have a light and fluffy mixture (this can take a while). Combine flour with baking powder, sieve through on top of the beaten eggs and fold in gently. Finally, fold in the soaked dried fruits, hazelnuts and almonds.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured loaf pan (about 30cm long) and bake in the preheated oven for about 55-60 minutes on the middle rack.
After baking, let the fruit bread cool down in the baking pan for about 10 minutes, then take it out and leave to cool down completely on a wire rack.