Bookmark this recipe now and start your own cherry liqueur next summer. By the time Christmas is here you will enjoy the sweet and warm reward of your labor (and patience 🙂 ) Also consider, that a homemade cherry liqueur can be a wonderful Christmas party gift.
Italian Cherry Liqueur
- ca. 500g of cherries
- 500ml of 95% proof alcohol (e.g. Everclear or Golden Grain)
- 400ml of water
- 500g of sugar
- Put the sugar in a pot and pour over the water. Slowly bring it to boil while stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Turn off the heat and let it cool down completely.
- Wash and pit the cherries. Don’t discard the pits!
- Place pits and cherries in a glass jar.
- Combine alcohol with the sugar syrup and pour it over the cherries and pits. Seal with a lid and set aside in a cool, dark area to macerate for two months. Shake the jar once daily.
- After this time, open the jar and filter the liquid through a clean, dry cloth or wire mesh strainer. Pour the filtered liqueur into a new bottle to age for at least three months.
After aging, uncork and enjoy the sweet reward for your patience.