The perfect aubergine casserole
- 2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 twigs of rosmary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cans of peeled tomatoes (á 411 g / 14.5 oz)
- salt, fresh pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes
- 4 little or 2 large aubergines
- 50 g Parmesan cheese
- 250 g Mozarella cheese
- Finely dice onions and garlic. Saute in a saucepan with 3 tbsps of olive oil. Stir in tomato paste, add 2 twigs of rosemary, bay leaves and canned tomatoes. Rinse the cans with 50 ml of water and add into the sauce. Smash the tomatoes with a fork. Season with salt, pepper, sugar and hot pepper flakes. Let it simmer for 20 – 30 minutes until it’s boiled down to a thick tomato sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Cut the aubergines into 1 cm thick slices. Rub on both sides with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the slices are soft and golden. Take the aubergines out of the oven, slightly season with salt and pepper, and let it cool down.
- Grate Parmesan finely. Cut the Mozzarella into slices. Pluck the remaining rosemary twig and chop coarsely.
- Coat the bottom of the baking dish with some of the tomato sugo. Place a layer of aubergines, cover with sugo and sprinkle with a little Parmesan. Repeat the process twice and complete with sugo.
- Place mozarella slices on top, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and chopped rosemary. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Take out of the oven, leave to rest for 10 minutes and serve with crispy baguette.