A few days ago my oldest daughter came into the kitchen and said, “Mum , I want to bake a cake . “
I did not feel like baking at all, but how could I refuse a 4-year this request? So I suggested that we bake the cake with the funny name.
My little one had a lot of fun, not least because she ended up snacking the batter from two bowls. 🙂
Zebra Cake with Icing
- 375 g wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 250 g sugar
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 5 eggs
- 125 ml luke warm water
- 250 ml cooking oil (canola or sunflower oil are the best, because of their neutral taste)
- 2 EL cocoa (unsweetened)
For the icing
- 150 g icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum or water
- Preheat the oven to 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix all ingredients, except cocoa, in a bowl with a mixer. Process to a smooth batter, first at a low, then at full power for about 2 minutes.
- Divide the mass in halve. Stir 2 tbsp of cocoa into one halve.
- Give 1 – 2 tablespoons of the light batter in the center of a springform pan or a loaf pan (greased), then give 1 – 2 tablespoons of the dark batter directly on top of the light batter. Continue alternating between light and dark batter.
- Immediately put in the oven and bake for about 50 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the baking pan and put on a cooling rack, lined with baking paper. Let it cool down.
- Mix icing sugar with rum or water, until it’s creamy and smooth. Smother the cake with the icing.
Have fun baking. Bye for now. Anna.