Here is my recipe for a soft and tender black and white cake with icing, that over many years became a family heirloom.
Black and White Cake with Icing
- 375g of plain wheat flour
- 1tbsp of baking powder
- 250g of sugar
- 1tbsp of vanilla sugar
- 5 eggs
- 125ml of lukewarm water
- 250ml of cooking oil (preferably canola or sunflower oil, because of their neutral flavor)
- 2tbsps of dark (dutched) cocoa powder
- 150g of icing sugar
- 3tbsps of rum or water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355°F, grease a 9-inch loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients, except the cocoa powder, and whisk with an electric hand mixer into a smooth batter. Start at the lowest speed and gradually increase to the highest setting. Mix at the highest speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour half of the batter into a second mixing bowl and stir in the cocoa powder until fully combined and smooth.
- Pour 1 – 2 tablespoons of the white batter in the center of the loaf pan, then pour 1 – 2 tablespoons of the dark batter directly on top of the white batter. Continue alternating between light and dark batter.
- Put immediately in the oven and bake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Then carefully remove the cake from the pan and let it cool down completely on the rack.
- Combine icing sugar with rum or water, until it’s thick and creamy. Spread evenly over the cake.