This bread is very easy to make and requires only a minimum of ingredients. What matters while mixing the ingredients is, that you act swiftly. The time-consuming kneading is not required. Thereafter the dough needs to rest for 12 to 14 hours. The best dish to bake the bread is a cast iron or pottery pot with a lid. Baking the bread in a cast iron or pottery dish gives the bread a crispy crust and beautiful big holes inside, almost like in a ciabatta.
- 400 g wheat flour
- 300 ml warm water
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- 1 teaspoons of salt
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add warm water.
- Combine all ingredients with a fork. 30 seconds are sufficent. The dough does not have to be smooth.
- Cover the bowl with a clean dish towel. Let the dough rest in room temperature ( about 24 degrees Celsius / ca. 74 degrees Fahrenheit) for 12 to 14 hours.
- Put the dough on a clean and flour-dusted work space. Flatten the dough with your hands and pull it a little. Fold the dough into an envelope, then fold the envelope in half. Repeat that process two more times.
- Take a bread basket and line it with a clean dish towel. Dust it plentiful with flour. Put the dough in the basket, dust is plentiful with flour and cover. Let it rise for about 2 hours.
- Put the cast iron or pottery pot in the oven and preheat the oven to 240 degree Celsius (464 degree Fahrenheit).
- Take the pot out of the oven (caution: hot!). Put the dough swiftly in the pot, cover it with the lid and immediately put the pot back in the oven.
- Bake 30 minutes with lid on, then take the lid off and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the pot and let it cool off on a cooling rake.